Did you know that May is National Mental Health Month? What better time than now to talk about your mental wellness?
Why is mental health important?
Mental health is important because it can help you to:
- Make the aging process easier
- Increase overall well being, quality and longevity of your life
- Cope with stress
- Be physically healthy
- Have good relationships
- Make meaningful contributions to your community
5 Ways to Improve Your Long Term Mental Health
- Taking care of your physical health – Your physical and mental health are connected. Exercise can reduce feelings of stress and depression and improve your mood.
- Get enough sleep.
Sleep affects your mood. If you don’t get a night of good sleep, you may become more easily annoyed and angry. Over the long term, a lack of quality sleep can make you more likely to become depressed. So it’s important to make sure that you have a regular sleep schedule and get enough quality sleep every night.
- Proper nutrition.
Good nutrition will help you feel better physically but could also improve your mood and decrease anxiety and stress. Also, not having enough of certain nutrients may contribute to some mental illnesses. For example, there may be a link between low levels of vitamin B12 and depression. Eating a well-balanced diet can help you to get enough of the nutrients you need.
- Connecting with others.
Humans are social creatures, and it’s important to have strong, healthy relationships with others. Having good social support may help protect you against the harms of stress. It is also good to have different types of connections. Besides connecting with family and friends, you could find ways to get involved with your community or neighborhood. For example, you could volunteer for a local organization or join a group that is focused on a hobby you enjoy.
- Developing coping skills, which are methods you use to deal with stressful situations. They may help you face a problem, take action, be flexible, and not easily give up in solving it. Consider meditation and relaxation techniques.
As always, we are here for you. If you feel like you are struggling with your mental wellness, please contact us so we can provide you with the appropriate guidance and resources.
Here’s to your health!