When you realize you or your loved one requires elder care, there are three options to consider; in-home care with a family member, in-home care with a caregiver or private duty nurse, or an in-home facility.

We firmly believe in-home caregivers are the best option for eldercare. Our caregivers have continuous training, years of experience, and endless resources to ensure uninterrupted, safe, knowledgeable, and reliable care in the comfort of a senior’s own home.

Still, many families decide to provide care for their elderly family members. Oftentimes these family members find that while this is a kind and honorable job to take on, it is, in fact, a job. Family members may find themselves spending money and/or taking unpaid time off of work.

It’s only natural that family caregivers would ask if they are eligible to be paid for the care they provide or expenses accrued while caring for their loved one. Leaving one to wonder, “Can I get paid to be a family caregiver in Arizona?”.

There is not a one size fits all payment program for family caregivers from the State of Arizona.

There are, however, options to reduce the financial burden. Here are some resources for you to find out how you may be able to get financial assistance while caring for a family member.

  • If the senior requiring care is a veteran, there are options for financial assistance. Please check out this link for Arizona’s Veteran Directed Care Program. It is offered through the Southern Arizona VA Health Care System.
  • Arizona’s Department of Economic Security (DES) Division of Aging and Adult Services (DAAS) provides non-medical home and community-based services for qualified individuals. These services are offered through local Area Agencies on Aging (AAA), and the AAA may also provide caregiver support services. However, the DES Division of Aging and Adult Services doesn’t offer programs that enable family caregivers to be paid for providing care for a loved one.
  • The Arizona Long Term Care System (ALTCS), Arizona’s Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS) (the state’s Medicaid program) is the only agency that offers such a program. The individual receiving care must either be eligible to receive or already receiving benefits and/or services under the ALTCS programs. Caregivers for these individuals would apply to become an employee through a AHCCCS/ALTCS contracted home health care agency, and after passing rigorous screening and eligibility processes, would be able to receive payment for providing care services to their loved one. This is known as the Self Directed Attendant Care (SDAC) Program.

We here at Sunland firmly believe that in-home care is the best solution when it comes to senior care.

The good intentions of family members giving care can often become unreasonable to fulfill for them in the long run. And, there may reach a point where extensive training that family members do not have is required.

As always, when you find you need respite care or long-term in-home care, Sunland is here to provide expert and compassionate care for your loved one. For more information on how we can help you, call us today. Whether you have one question or one hundred, we are here!

While we attempt to give accurate, up-to-date, and safe information in all of our articles, it's important to note that they are not meant to be a replacement for medical advice from a doctor or other healthcare provider. Always seek the advice of a practicing professional who can diagnose your individual situation. Our blog post content is provided for educational purposes only and does not constitute medical advice.

Share This

The 3 Biggest Mistakes Families Make When Caring for Elderly Parents

Download our FREE guide to help you make the best decision for your loved one.

We're here to help.

For more information, call us at 480-447-8893 or send us an email.