Doctors and nurses are heralded as some of the greatest frontline healthcare heroes. We here at Sunland want to remind everyone of another group of heroes, the Certified Nurse Assistants (CNAs).
June 17th kicks off a weeklong recognition of CNAs and we couldn’t be more thrilled to help celebrate them!
Who are they?
CNAs work under the supervision of a registered nurse or licensed practical nurse. They provide basic care to patients and help them with daily activities they might have trouble doing on their own. From mobility, to hygiene, to eating and getting dressed, CNAs are a gift to patients and fellow medical staff alike.
A CNA does it all and sees it all. In-home care, a CNA is almost an extension of the care recipient’s family, providing companion care as well as personal hygiene care.
What CNAs do:
- Turn or repositioning patients
- Gather supplies for the RN or MD
- Obtain vital signs per protocol
- Answer patient calls/bells
- Bathe patients
- Document information obtained
- Feed patients, measuring and recording their food and liquid intake
- Comb hair, shaving, caring for nails and brushing teeth
- Clean rooms and bed linens
- Stock supplies
- Prepare rooms for admissions
- Help with medical procedures
- Dress wounds
- Assist patients with elimination
Let’s give a big high five to Certified Nurse Assistants this week. We appreciate all of your compassionate care and hard work, and are so grateful for you!
All of us at Sunland Home Care & Medical