After years of an independent life, it is daunting to realize you need a caregiver. We understand! What makes it extra concerning for seniors, is the anxiety of anticipated loss of dignity.
One thing that can help? Hiring an in-home caregiver instead of having family members provide care. Read more to understand why this, and how we can help.
When beginning any new care plan, a common theme for seniors is to feel a loss of dignity. The loss of privacy and independence are in the forefront of our clients’ minds.
Let’s look at the reasons why you or your loved one may feel a loss of dignity, and what can be done to help.
After a lifetime of experience, years of independence, raising a family, working and maintaining a house, suddenly a senior’s entire life is about to change. Think about the things you do for yourself every day such as:
- Bathing, hygiene and grooming
- Going to doctor’s appointments
- Grocery shopping
- Yard work
- Paying bills
- Hobbies and social events
Now, think about not being able to perform these daily tasks independently, and needing to ask for help. On top of this, as we age, there may be new challenges such as:
- Memory loss and confusion
- Respiratory issues
- Fatigue, too tired to get through the day
- Depression and anxiety
- Children or other family members starting to make decisions instead of you
When a family member provides care to their senior, it can set your senior up for feeling a larger loss of dignity. Things that were private before no longer are.
Our seniors have told us how they feel their dignity has been restored when a Sunland caregiver provides them with care. When our caregivers are there instead of a family member, seniors have reported:
- Professional care meets their needs more. Sunland caregivers are around your parent for long portions of the day and are dialed into what is important to your loved one.
- Seniors feel unrushed and as though they can go at their own pace
- Private needs remain private
- Seniors feel heard, and as though they have a choice regarding meaningful decisions in their lives, in their care, and future
- Clients will often confide more in the caregiver because it’s a professional relationship
- Seniors will be more likely to ask for help because they don’t feel like they are being a burden
- Having a caregiver to dress, bathe and prepare seniors for visits makes them feel like they are still themselves when their family visits. They feel at their best!
- When there is privacy, our seniors feel they have more control and pride and are putting their best foot forward in front of their family.
Other ways we help restore dignity for our seniors? We get to know seniors and their families! We always:
- Take time to connect
- Listen carefully
- Feel, and show, respect and empathy – we know seniors may feel overwhelmed by their life experience and the changes they have seen in the world. Maintaining a level of understanding of events around them can help them feel more secure.
- Understand values
- Help relinquish independence wherever possible
We would love to talk with you about your unique needs. Call us today at 480-588-2650 to speak with someone – no question is too big or too small. And remember, we will always ensure your dignity comes first!